Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chapter 5


Feudal Era

“Amayami, concentrate!”  nagged the old crone. Mai frowned and tried to hide yawn, unsuccessfully.
“Hmm?” she asked. Aiko glared at her with annoyance.
“What happened to you? You seem to be completely different person! You need to behave yourself.” the woman scolded Mai as the girl looked once again at the remains of the mirror. “Let us go through it once again. All your servants have been released from their duty, so you can count only on my help. If you are without my or your father’s company, stay in your quarters or in your garden. Is it understood?”
“Mhm.” mumbled Mai, not taking eyes off the mirror. She was lost in thought. To be honest, she didn’t have to clue, how to start figuring out the way home. Ask somebody? No, she doubted it would work. The best idea would be to learn something about that cursed mirror and maybe something similar to it. She needed library.
“Aiko-san? Is here a library here?” she asked. The older woman gave her a warning look.
“You weren’t listening, were you?” she fumed. “And yes, there is your father’s library. If you want I could take you there tomorrow.”
Mai furrowed her brows. She was way too impatient and wanted to start the work right away. She tried to put on her pleading face and make puppy eyes.
“Can’t you do it today? Please, Aiko-san? Please, please…”
Aiko sighed. What has gotten into this girl? Before the accident she was a gentle, polite lady and now she was rude and feisty. The woman had no idea, why Amayami was so insistent on visiting library, but she couldn’t really resist that innocent and pleading look. Perhaps the girl wanted to read a romance to pass the time.
“I agree. Follow me and memorize the route. After you finish, return here on your own. And do try avoiding conversation with people along the way.”
“I promise!” Mai clapped her hands and got quickly on her feet.

Aiko lead her to the library. It wasn’t as impressive as Mai expected, but there were numerous books and scrolls on the shelves. Mai didn’t even notice, when Aiko left. Fascinated, she was picking up tomes and scrolls, looking at maps. That was heaven. Some books must be really old!
She jumped as she heard a weird sound behind her. She turned around, her heart beating like crazy. There was a really old man standing, Mai would say he looked like he had over hundred years old. And he was grinning toothlessly at her.
“Amayami-hime.” he said with great effort in a hushed voice. “It is a pleasure to see you here, especially when you appear here not too often. What brings you here?”
“Ehm…” mumbled Mai. It may prove helpful to get this old man to cooperate. “I’m looking for a book, scroll, anything… about mirrors, mystical things, time travelling… that kind of fantastical things…”
“Oh.” the old an coughed and let out a few hissing breaths. He looked baffled by Mai’s request. “I am afraid, that I cannot help you, hime-sama. I have here treaties, works about economics, politics and history, poetry and romance, but none of the mystical works. The lords of Askakura family were never fond of  the myths and tales. Why a young lady like you would take interest in such unusual matter?”
“No reason.” answered Mai, as she shifted uncomfortably under man’s scrutiny. “Do you know where could I find them?”
“Let me think.” the old librarian scratched his bald head. “I believe, that the old priest has a small collection, he may be of assistance to you, hime-sama.”
“All right.” said Mai energetically and rested her hands on her hips. “Where is he?”
“There, where he always is.” Answered the old man, slightly confused. “In the temple on the outskirts of village.”
“Thank you!” exclaimed Mai.

She was still far from finding the answers, but at least she knew where to start to look. Now she needed an excuse to go to that temple, preferably alone. She tried to go back to her quarters, but somewhere along the way she must have taken the wrong turn and now she was lost. Her sense of direction wasn’t her strength. Mai took a turn left and found herself on the courtyard. There were couple of nobles strolling and talking to each other. All the faces were unfamiliar except one – Lord Asakura! Mai’s fake father was deep in conversation with some guy, that was wearing overly and somewhat feminine clothes. She kept in mind, that she had to keep a façade of being a princess. She went towards lord Asakura, trying to appear graceful. She positioned herself in a place, where she could be seen by him. She didn’t have to wait long. Fake father finished conversation and walked to Mai.
“Amayami, what are you doing here? You should be in your quarters.” he hissed, glancing nervously at other nobles.
“Father.” Mai started cautiously. “I got lost, but I actually wanted to speak with you. There is a temple in the outskirts of the village and I thought, that I could pray there for my memories to return.”
“Amayami.” the lord looked at first furious, but now his expression softened. “I understand, that you are eager to get better, but it is a long way and it would be tiring…”
“I know. “Mai interrupted him. “I am convinced, that I can get there alone. I can do it. And I wouldn’t bother you or Aiko or that doctor…”
“You want to go alone?” Lord Asakura whispered shocked, as though Mai said she would travel across the Japan, not a small village. Mai decided not to give up.
“It’s not that far. And no one would dare to hurt princess. Besides, I feel confined here and I think my health is worsening from it. “
The argument about health was decisive. The Lord wasn’t really warmed up to the idea of princess roaming round the village, but it seemed, that he couldn’t say no to his only daughter.
“I will agree, but I will send a bodyguard with you. I will choose someone, who did not yet met you. Now go to your rooms.”

Mai bowed and happily rushed from where she came. She was so pleased with herself because of her small victory, that she didn’t notice that she was still lost. “Oh shit. I don’t have a choice but to ask someone to show me the way.” She chose a young girl as a target and stalked to her.
“Ekhem.” She coughed to get girls attention. The girl looked up in horror, surprised and scared.
“My lady?” she asked, her voice was shaking.
“Can you walk me to my rooms?” Mai asked and tried to look weak. “I don’t feel well.”
The girl jumped up and lead Mai, supporting her at the same time. When they got there, Mai thanked the girl and went into her room. She stretched and yawned loudly.
“Where were you?!” the voice of furious Aiko made Mai jump and let out a shriek. “I searched for you everywhere!”
“You scared me!” Mai accused her. “I got lost! It was not my fault, so don’t shout at me!”
“Amayami!” Aiko was shocked. “What a behavior! You shall spend tomorrow all day in your room.”
“Ha!” Mai shouted back, the satisfied look on her face. “Actually I am not. I’m going to a temple tomorrow.”
“I will not allow it.” said Aiko, glaring sternly at Mai, surprised, how the princess defied her. The Amayami she knew would never behave like that.
“Too late. Father already allowed it.” Mai announced smugly. The old crone frowned and made her way to the exit.
“I am disappointed in you, Amayami. I raised you to be graceful and polite lady. I feel sorrow when I look at you now.” Aiko said quietly and locked the door behind her, as she left.
Mai couldn’t help but feel a little ashamed. She decided to try to act more like Amayami from now on. She wondered, how was doing the princess, who was sent into her own world…

Present day, Higurashi Shrine

“Amakusa, Asakura, Azai…” muttered Kagome, as she searched through her history textbook.
“What are you doing, Kagome?”demanded Inuyasha and moved his foot impatiently. “We should be on the other side of the well right now, searching for that bastard Naraku! You said earlier we will be coming back today!”
“Osuwari.” said Kagome firmly as Inuyasha was slammed against the floor. She rolled her eyes as the hanyou  started muttering curses under her nose and growling. “I’ve already told you. We must find my friend first. Mai is right now scared and alone in feudal era and I don’t have a clue where, because that idiot of a princess won’t tell me who she is! She thinks, that we are youkai, who will have power over her, once we know her name!”
“Anyway, you don’t have to hurry.” Inuyasha pointed out. “If your friend switched places with a princess, she is safe in a castle, so there is no way any youkai would eat her.”
“True.” agreed Kagome, deep in thought. “It may take some time for the princess to trust us. The more we try to get her name out of her, the more stubborn she is.”
“Kagome!” Inuyasha said. Kagome sighed.
“I guess, that the princess needs some time. In the meantime, we’ll going to search for Naraku. Come on, we don’t want to make Sango, Miroku and Shippo wait for us.”


In the next chapter: Mai meets her new companion. Who is he? Will the feeling sprout between them? Meanwhile Kagome and Inuyasha continue their search for a lost friend. Will they get any closer? Stay tuned for the next chapter: The temple!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm. I hate to be annoying, but you double posted chapter 4: princess. I am looking at your ff dot net link for chapter five and it is different. This is not to say that I am not enjoying your story so far. I just thought you'd like to know about the double post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me now, it was just a mishap of a half-asleep author. The problem is fixed (finally).

      Delete